A Bobcat at Fundy in the early morning: Canon SX50HS vs Canon EOS7D

Hi all,

I got to see a Bobcat in fairly open conditions last Tuesday at Fundy National Park, right around 9 AM on Tuesday morning. It was overcast and still fairly low light conditions. I took pics of the beastie from about 35 m with two different cameras, out of a van window. I was surprised that the pics taken with the point-and-shoot were as good or better than those taken with the DSLR. The Canon EOS 7D was equipped with a 100-400mm Canon zoom (a pretty well-regarded lens), whereas the Canon SX50HS has its 1200mm equivalent zoom. The first pic was taken with the SX50HS, and the second with the EOS7D. This may not quite be a fully equal comparison, but it was a very real situation, nonetheless. The photo with the second camera was cropped somewhat more, because the animal was smaller in the frame, but it is impressive to see how close in quality the two pics are, given that one system cost about $400 and the other almost ten times more. Point-and-shoots have come a long way, baby!

Views: 662

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Elva! The bobcat is still around, as we are still finding fresh tracks and scat. Maybe another chance will come our way. :)

nice denis,,I catch one on my trailcam every year in tankville

Great Images Denis!

Any ideas as to where I may get a good shot of a Bobcat or Lynx

in the woods :)

Sorry couldn't help myself.

I have found that they are around most of the province, the main thing to understand is that they are nocturnal, and aren't seen much during the daylight hours. 

If you have an abundance of snowshoe hare, then your more likely to see the Bobcat or Lynx. Hope this helps.

Good points, Paul. This bobcat is still around, as evidenced by fresh prints and scat. However, it has not been spotted again during daylight hours in over three weeks, to our knowledge. Their territory is quite large.

This bobcat is still around, as evidenced by fresh prints and scat. However, it has not been spotted again during daylight hours in over three weeks, to our knowledge. Their territory is quite large.

What I'm not sure about is when they mate, coyotes are coming into mating season, I wonder are the cats, and if so is it possible that the day light sightings have something to do with its mating ritual?  Maybe it has marked its area and there is a possibility of a 2nd cat?

Usually coyotes aren't seen in daylight hours, though during its mating season it's seen more in the day time.   Trail camera's are the best way I know of getting pics of nocturnal animals, I've got some pics of skunks, mice, snowshoe hare, and bears with my infrared camera with shots taken before midnight, but most active about an hour or 2 before daylight. 

Or you could set up a blind, and once you see the photo's on game cam and get an idea of its timing, sit in blind to get a personal view of it.  Though this takes patience, sitting really quietly, and often in cold weather (but I will testify that the reward of seeing your prize is always an awesome feeling well worth the uncomfortable wait.)  But that's just me, I love the natural world, and how it interacts.

If you still have snow you could track the cat, find out where it sleeps in daylight, and set up camera to that area, they often have scratch points where they mark their territory.  

Either way, good luck

very nice

He is beautiful!  I much prefer the top pic taken with the point and shoot :)

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service