Not sure if you'd call it a hotspot but I have been very impressed at the variety of birds that can been seen in such a small area.  Takes me about 45 minutes to make the circuit but I stop a lot.  Good parking and close to the highway for someone who wants to stretch their legs.  Boardwalks give you good views of the marsh (one large boardwalk is still under construction).  The trails are graveled and wide and offer easy access with lots of benches.  Excellent place for birders who might have trouble getting around. 

I have only been there 3 or 4 times and I have seen or heard (photographed a lot of these) - American Goldfinch, Purple Finch, Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, American Robin, Veery, Common Grackle, Red-Winged Blackbird, Grey Catbird, Cedar Waxwing, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Black and White Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, American Redstart, Chestnut-Sided Warbler, Chipping Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Eastern Phoebe, Marsh Wren (finally got this lifer) and Sora Rail.

https://www.oromocto.ca/welcome-to-the-gateway-wetlands-project

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We need more or these spaces in the province.  Thanks for sharing Eric.

Thanks for sharing, Eric. Can you provide directions for folks who are not from that area.

Hope this works.

Also forgot to add Tree Swallows to my above list.

Yes its a nice little walk-about. Been there a few times.

Yes its a nice little walk-about. Been there a few times.

Three more visits and the list grows;

Black Capped Chickadee

American Crow (saw these before but they're so common I forgot to add them)

Alder Flycatcher (thought I heard it on an earlier visit, think I got my best photo of one ever)

Red-Eyed Vireo

Blackburnian Warbler

Northern Parula

Northern Flicker

Hairy Woodpecker

Great Blue Heron

and a brood of Hooded Merganser

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service