My partially leucistic Little Buddy -Black-capped Chickadee

It is so awesome to me to be able to see the same chickadee over the entire winter. I haven't seen him/her for a month now and was beginning to think I wouldn't see it again. I've been looking for days and finally today March 17, 2015 it returned! Yippee!

I first saw it Oct 30, 2014. I do want to post a list of sightings for my record of it. Instead of posting in the photo section each time I'll just add to this so all in one place. Most of these I've posted before ... all except the last one for now ... which I saw today March 17, 2015 ... all in my yard, New England Settlement, near Minto. I hope to add many more!

Oct 30, 2014 -1st sighting

Jan 5, 2015 - was surprised to see again!

Jan 17, 2015

Feb 3, 2015

Feb 7, 2015- wide angle lens P&S camera... its about 3 inches from my hand, looks further but its not. Come on Little Buddy, take the pebble from my hand ... but he saw a plump seed on the ground by my feet and went for that instead.

Feb 15, 2015 - two images

March 17, 2015

Below - added March 24, 2015 - 3 images

Also on this day took a short 30 second video https://youtu.be/MMwXDI2s-7E

************************************************************************************

************************************************************************************

Below - saw Lil Buddy again today April 8, 2015

Put on a nice show!

Lil Buddy flying

Lil Biddy thinking about taking a bath

Here is Lil Buddie's buddy taking a bath

Lil Buddy on a branch - last two pics for today

April 16, 2015

LIl Buddy starring in a movie, 39 seconds of fame!  - https://youtu.be/oiqkbrJgiNI

Lil Buddy relaxing on a branch after dinner..

*****************************************************************************************

May 8, 2015.

Lil Buddy came by and relaxed on the back deck for awhile.

Been here over 6 months now.

****************************************************************************************

Nov 1, 2015

Is this LIL Buddy returning almost exactly a year to the day from 1st time I saw him/her? Taken my back yard at 4:30 pm ... two images... hope too get more in the coming days.

****************************************************************************************

Nov 5, 2015

Lil Buddy dropped by early this morning for breakfast ... back deck around 8 AM

**************************************************************************************

Dec 3, 2015

Lil Buddy takes a seed from my hand! :D

***************************************************************************************

Dec 30, 2015

Lil Buddy getting ready for New Years

*******************************************************************************************

Oct 19, 2016

I did see Lil Buddy in early Jan 2016. Then he/she disappeared and thought that was it ... BUT to my surprise on Oct 19th, my birthday, Lil Buddy made an appearance!

*********************************************************************************************

Nov 8, 2016.

I have seen Lil Buddy out and about a few times the last week and did manage to get a few nice pics today, Nov 8, 2016. If Lil Buddy stays around ... this will be his/her third winter here in my yard. That is cool! I'm so happy to have him back again! :)

As a reminder of this date ... Lil Buddy is having a snack before settling down to watch the Clinton/Trump US Election coverage being held today.

******************************************************************************************

Dec 5, 2016

Lil Buddy having a late night snack, energy to keep warm for the night. Getting colder now with -10C for tonight.

******************************************************************************************

April 17, 2017

Lil Buddy not seen since Dec 5th 2016 (above) but returned April 17th 2017 and also seen April 18th. A few images taken on those dates below.

Tags: Black-capped, Chickadee, leucistic, partially

Views: 1228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know why, but this year I've seen more Leucistic birds then I've ever seen before, we have a crow with a partially white wing, we had 3 or 4 robins that had were leucistic, and a Junco.   We have come to calling the crow white wing, he's around daily as the neighbors feed them bread.

Lil Buddy was last seen Dec 5th 2016 UNTIL yesterday April 17,2017. Gail spotted him/her in my backyard! I'm pretty sure its the same one that has been here off and on since Oct 2014. New images (three) added to bottom of the main post above under the date April 17, 2017. Usually he spends the winter here and disappears until the following fall but this time he didn't show all winter. Was great to have 'him' back!

I love your updates on Lil Buddy!!  So glad he/she returned.  Do we know how long chickadees live?  We know Lil Buddy has been an adult for at least 2 1/2 years, right?

Thanks Bev! Idunno ... maybe 6 or 7 years? He was the 1st chickadee at my feeders this morning. Sooo cool! :) I'll keep an eye out as I always do and post about him as long possible.

Made my day too!  Just happened to see a very bright white spot moving way out at the edge of the woods.  Since he had'nt been seen since December, I did'nt say anything until I saw for certain it was him/her through the bins.  What a relief to know that Lil buddy is still around.

RSS

© 2017   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service