Corrections welcomed...

1.  Still no ID for this one.  I posted it on Moths of Eastern USA and they considered the same moths and didn't reach a solution either.  I have it on the back of mind when searching for others, perhaps I'll stumble on it then. 

2. Pseudorthodes vecors - Small Brown Quaker - Hodges#10578

3. Enargia infumata - Smoked Sallow - Hodges#9550   ID by Tony...thank you (thought it was a Sunira)

July 16th 2018  Not as worn

4. Pima albiplagiatella - White-edged Pima Moth - Hodges#5747...ID by Tony. (see discussion)

Tags: -, 2018, 5-7, Brown, Enargia, July, Moth, Pima, Pseudorthodes, Quaker, More…Quarryville, Sallow, Small, Smoked, White-edged, albiplagiatella, infumata, vecors

Views: 160

Replies to This Discussion

Nancy, what an intriguing group of moths!! I can't offer a whole lot of help but your last one is a pyralid in the genus PeoriaCarmine Snout Moth Peoria approximella 6053 or Gemmed Cordgrass Borer Peoria gemmatella 6048. A side view would help a lot. 

I've looked a lot for your #1 but haven't found a better choice than what you suggest Resapamea passer. I'll keep looking.

Your #2 looks fine to my eye Pseudorthodes vecors.

I'm drawing a blank on your #3 but haven't really searched yet. I'll try to search a bit later on. 

Keep them coming!

What an egg head I am..  I always take a side view of most micros....I was overwhelmed by numbers I had on the hot nights. I'm thinking my little pink one is closer to 6053.  The side had a white stripe. You can see a bit of it on the left side.  I searched for hours for it...all micros, just in case.

You are so kind to help me out with these Stuart.  I couldn't see anything better for #1,  and really figured #3 would be easy!  It looks familiar. I will go through the plates again.

Thanks so much!

Took an earlier than intended ferry back from GMI.... pelagic outing yesterday was great but land birding slow on a hot day so left early. I'm tired and perhaps in no frame of mind to be of much help, but, I note your moth has a very strong white area on the side that fits 6053 better than do the others I checked out.

Not ready to tackle anything else tonight.

PS, congrats on the others and the images are great!!

I agree Joanne.  Thanks so much for taking a look when you are tired.   Get some rest. 

Very high winds here..I have company coming this week and have lots to do...not setting up the trap tonight.  I have the moths from this morning still  cooling...will shoot and Id them in the morning

Your image shows as a bit longer than the Peterson's book shows 6053 to be, but sizes seem to be given as the 'mean'...ie 'average' size. I've recently seen American Idea that would measure smaller/larger compared to the given 'norm' in Peterson's.

I agree that 6053 looks best for #4. I forgot that you had a grid underlay so the 10mm total length would be good for 6053 and too short for 6048. I get loads of 6048 but only once or twice a season do I get 6053 but I got one a few nights ago. You can see some of my Peoria at this link.

Wonderful images for 6053 Stuart.  Have been posting on i naturalist last month...have to catch up now.  Putting the rare ones on it for sure and also on BG

Stuart....Took a look through the last plate and  9960 – Sunira verberata – Battered Sallow Moth , looks very close for #3...what do you think?

Brilliant!! I'd say you've got it. Congratulations. Somehow I looked right past that one.

Oh, YES!!

On second thought........we may have to keep looking. I had forgotten that Tony had told us that 9960 was not separable from 9957 Sunira bicolorago except by dissection (see HERE).

Just as importantly, both species fly in autumn only.  :) 

Back to the drawing board?

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service