I understand that Sora Rails are abundant in the Maritimes, but not often seen. I believe this is a juvenile, I apologize that I only had my cell phone with me. This picture was taken at Bell Marsh off Salisbury Road in Moncton. Perhaps a more knowledgeable birder can confirm it for me. The last image is one I found on line, that I thought looked like a match.

Tags: Juvenile, Rail, Sora

Views: 245

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like you found yourself one of those abundant but indeed hard to see birds... a Sora!! Probably could be a juvenile related to lack of much black on face.

I began listing all birds I've sighted since January 2015. Already I was excited to add a bird I'd never seen before. I was a little disappointed the Sora was so common, thinking I found something so unique. My husband and I have always enjoyed bird watching, but it's increasingly becoming a bigger part of our leisure.  Next on the wish list: a high quality camera. It's great to have an NB group like this one for local input and help.

Re: Camera, check into the megazoom point and shoot, depending on what you want out of a camera, they might be all you need.  

Me and many others have the Canon SX50, you can still get one for around $300, (less than the cost of a teleconverter for a DSLR)

There's a few more out there now too.  

Thanks Dwayne, I am very open to suggestions, especially a $300 one. Mike wanted one for Christmas last year. I'll get him one this year. That's what I call it anyway, it's a gift for me too hahah.

Every bird you see is unique in some way Karen. Sora is very difficult to view, yet you have done so! Every new to you species is exciting!

It's a good idea to check the calls of birds you've see. Sora has  a very distinctive call. If you type Sora into your search engine, then if you choose the Cornell site for Sora [or any bird of your choice], you can hear the call.

Thanks Joanne, you are right, every new sighting is exciting. We have already began building feeders and different seed combos targeted to various birds and loving it. I have been using the Cornell site regularly to listen to calls. Inadvertently, playing the calls started to bring in birds to the deck, where I sit with my laptop. There is a great horned owl in our area that I have heard many times (and I am getting pretty good at the call myself). But I will likely never get to lay eyes on him(her).

You never know Karen, I have seen Great Horned, Barred and Saw-whet Owls here at home. Using calls on your laptop is termed "play back' or 'call back'.... it does work to bring species in for viewing.

I can hear the great horned from my back deck, but I would probably have to go down to the marsh at night to see it. Were you able to coax them closer with the call, or do they just land in a tree nearby and you see one by chance?

Just landed. GHO was in a tree as was Saw-whet. Barred in trees and on the driveway [numerous visits from Barred]. Last evening I could hear Great Horned not far off.

That is really exciting to me. On the next full moon, I'm heading to the marsh for a look.

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service