Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a superzoom and would like some opinions. The camera's primary uses will be documenting rare birds and to a lesser degree identification. At this point in time, I am leaning heavily toward a Canon Powershot SX90. It seems to be a quality camera and fits my budget (around $500). The Nikon P900 seems quite good as well, but is heavier and will likely be out of my price range.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David mentioned his Nikon P600 in another thread ... reminded me of nice review awhile back I'd bookmarked. Its from 2014 but compares all the superzooms ... P600, SX50, SX60, and five more. It does go into quite a bit of detail. According to this site the P600 was the winner in this particular review. Might be a good read if evaluating these cameras. I believe Nikon has a P610 now to replace the P600 ... the P610 has built in GPS, otherwise not that much difference I think?

The 8 camera superzoom review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/best-superzoom-2014/best-supe...

compare P600 to P610:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-Coolpix-P600-vs-Nikon-Coolp...

I like the 610. Thanks.

I would recommend a Canon Powershot or a Nikon Coolpix but research the models.They all aren't good. I know the Canon SX50/60 are very good. I have a Nikon Coolpix P900 which I chose for birding to get the zoom. I didn't want to spend thousands on the next level of lenses for my older DSLR even though the quality of a DSLR is still better but I'm happy with it for what I wanted it for.

My two cents:
IF you can get your hands on a Nikon P610 new (out of production or soon to be) or a good used Canon SX50HS, go for it. The SX60 is bit softer than the SX50, but still very good. I recommend having a peak at the Nikon B700 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ300 as well. P900 has never really gone down in price, but can't be beat for max zoom (83X!!)

I just ordered a new P610 ($447US). Thanks for all the comments. They were very helpful.

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service