Hello!

I have just 1.5 days to wander NB next week, leaving from Moncton. I've done some research but can't decide where to go to see birds I can't see in Ontario. Where would you suggest I focus my limited time? Mary's Point? Grand Manan? Kouchibouguac NP? I'm willing to do some driving to get to a good spot.

I was recently in Gaspé and saw Northern Gannets, Black-Legged Kittiwakes, Harlequin Ducks, Common Eiders, Black Guillemots, Common Murres, Razorbills...happy to see them again of course, but I've already got them ticked off.

Thanks in advance!

Views: 521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello!

I went to Johnson's Mills and saw the sp plovers, sp sandpipers and black bellied plovers! What a sight!

I went to Hopewell Rocks the next day, I'd called Tourism NB before I left asking what time I should go to see the birds and the tide, I was given the worst advice because I saw only 3 gulls in 3 hours and not a single other bird! I remember saying "the shorebirds will be there then?" and she said oh yes lots of birds! I was so irritated because I had such a short time and tried hard to plan it well. 

But seeing the 40,000 or so shorebirds at Johnson's Mills was spectacular!

Hello!

I'm in the Moncton region late next week. Where do you recommend at this time of the year for bird watchin?

Thank You!

Bonjour Je suis dans la région de Moncton en fin de semaine prochaine. Quel endroit recommandez vous en cette période de l'année?

Merci!

I'd head for Shediac, find a coastal area and check any open water and wharves I could find. I'd also try to locate any sewerage lagoons along the way and check them as well. Hopefully others can pinpoint various specific areas. Long-tailed Duck, Common and Barrow's Goldeneye, Mergansers, Bald Eagle, Iceland, Herring and Great Black-backed Gull should be easily found as well as possible Snowy Owl and various land birds.

Another suggestion is a visit to Tantramar Marsh in Sackville. A word of caution here, the High Marsh Rd. [unpaved] which crosses the marsh can be quite 'soupy' in mild temps as spring break-up occurs. There has been a Golden Eagle seen here on numerous occasions. One can expect Rough-legged Hawk in various morphs.

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service