Waterfowl Heritage Day - Sounds like a day to appreciate the ducks.....NOT!

Okay, today was Waterfowl Heritage Day, I'm sorry but I find this twisted.   I'm not against hunting, I know people who hunt, they use the game they get as food through the winter but duck hunting is more of a sport then a source for food.

Why don't they call it for what it is- Let's get out early and shoot some ducks day....

The following comes from the Migratory Guidelines for hunting in NB

Waterfowler Heritage Day provides young hunters who are minors (under 18 years of age) with the opportunity to practise hunting and outdoor skills, learn about wildlife conservation, and reinforce safety training in a structured, supervised environment. Licensed adult hunters who serve as mentors have an opportunity to pass on their considerable skills and knowledge by offering guidance and advice to younger hunters. The following rules are in effect:

• to participate, young hunters do not require the federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit;
  • young participants must comply with all existing safety and licensing requirements found in the Firearms Act and provincial hunting regulations;
  • participants must be accompanied by a licensed mentor (who is not a minor);
  • mentors may not hunt or carry a firearm, and may accompany no more than two young hunters; and
  • only young hunters may hunt when Waterfowler Heritage Days fall outside of the regular open seasons.

In New Brunswick, non-toxic shot must be used to hunt migratory game birds, except for woodcock. Within National Wildlife Areas, the possession of lead shot is prohibited for all hunting, including the hunting of migratory birds and upland game birds. Hunters should consult provincial or territorial regulations for additional restrictions. For those birds still hunted with lead shot, remove the lead shot before cooking in order to reduce your exposure to contaminants.

Barrow’s Goldeneye is listed in the Species at Risk Act as a species of special concern, and the bag and possession limit of 1 remains in place.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you, Paul and Kitty.  I don't believe we should be encouraging minors to hunt (or anyone else) and it certainly isn't a good day for ducks  :(

RSS

© 2017   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service