This was spotted by Gail and I on the Eighteen Rd near Albrights Corner, July 7 2018. I think its Exoprosopa dorcadion. The nearest ones to NB on BG are Kansas and Sask. About the same on iNat.

BG, https://bugguide.net/node/view/95253 ... does say the range is from NB to BC.

Looks to me like the wing venation fits to a T. Brown colour exactly fills in cell R1 ... whereas in E. caliptera, it spills beyond R2+3. Link to wings below.

Wing closeup of dorcadion.

Wing closeup of caliptera.

Looking at E. caliptera, https://bugguide.net/node/view/198225 , which BG says is close to E dorcadion, all the differences also support this.

BG ... E. caliptera ... "The most consistent distinction is that in dorcadion the white band on the second tergite is narrower (i.e. ≤ 1/2 tergite length) or absent, and is neither notched nor broken medially." This fits far as I can tell.

I'm adding all this info just showing all the stuff I came across trying to ID it. I'd like to know how/where to find Bee Fly records in Canada. Corrections welcomed!

Pictures aren’t great ... was a blazing sun ...

Tags: Exoprosopa, bee, dorcadion, fly, gt18f, jd18f

Views: 109

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, nice find JD !  I have never seen one, but looking at your references, I wouldn't disagree with your ID.

Thanks Danny! Neat to see a new bee fly!

WOW, WOW, WOW!! I would agree with your ID too, JD, and I think this might be a first record for NB. John Klymko or Dwayne Sabine would know for sure. I know that E dorcadion is known from PEI but I think the only Exoprosopa known from NB is fascipennis that occurs on east coast sand dunes. In any case, a GREAT FIND!!!

Have you seen the online key to bee flies of eastern Canada by Joel Kits et. als.? It is HERE.

Thanks Stu! Yes I have it downloaded. Has an awesome image collection ... just what I like :)

Congratulations Gail and Jimmy!!!

Thanks Joanne!

The identification looks good to me. That species is actually one of the few bombyliids reported from NB in "McIntosh, W. 1903. The Diptera of New Brunswick. Bulletin of the Natural History Society of New Brunswick 21: 123-128". I have seen the species once, on Grand Lake. Certainly a species that is sparse on the ground, nice record.

Thanks John! Great to have ID's. Grand Lake is not that far from this location.

Fantastic find!!  And what a beauty!

Congrats to both of you. :)  

Thanks Nancy!

I did go back to the same location today July 10 since my images above suc ... er ... were not that great, and there they were. I'll add one or two in case anyone wanted to see what they actually look like. They can be enlarged.

Nice images, Jimmy!! I'm curious to know a little about the habitat. Old fields, forest clearing / roadside?

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service