Dowdy Pinion [Lithophane unimoda] RWH 9916 This id from Tony's examination of the genitalia March 26/18

Front lights October 5/15 Hammond River area Quispamsis.

Views: 168

Replies to This Discussion

I think I may have gotten the same one last night.  We had company till midnight and I captured a few, before retiring.

It was a pretty good night for moths!

Thanks Nancy; it was a great evening for Moths!

OK, you two! All I got last night was a lump of coal! :)  :)

Again this evening there is virtually nothing out there, even with some fresh bait. One Xestia c-nigrum / dolosa at the back light and one Diamondback Epinotia Moth  Epinotia lindana  102825 / 3351 at the front light.

Stuart, I had a lot of nights where I didn't get much.  I hope things change for you. I was lucky enough to get an Underwing out there last night...but it's one I've had before.

I'll echo Nancy. We've all had those nights but then there are better nights.

I intended not to do much Mothing last evening... black light removed in preparation for being away for a week. I did take 3, one was at bait and two more at front light. Nothing new for any of them [I think]; one was a Celery Leaftier that looked quite fresh.... not sure re other 2. Won't get at id until this afternoon as I have to attend a funeral this morning.

Actually, I let the one that came to bait go.. another X. dolorosa/c-nigrum that was very faded. Then the Celery leafier and 2 micros.... these processed for Tony. I haven't tried id for the micros.... no time to do so today.

Your ID seems reasonable to me, Jo. I think Euxoa velleripennis  is a pretty rare moth in NB. Just a generic 'middle of the province' dot at MPG, no images from NB at BugGuide and no images here at BNB!

Thanks Stu, that id did not come easily. I also noted the one lone dot for NB on MPG.... first thought was: Betcha it was Tony sometime in the past!

It appears to be rare as Stu commented. I have only 2 males, from Fredericton.LaFontaine says it is "found most commonly in dry, forested areas."

Males are easy to recognize if one can see the hind wing - pure white and contrasting with the almost black fore wing.

Females not quite so easy, dark fore wing and much lighter hind wing but nowhere near as white as that of the males.

Good catch Joanne.

Thank you Tony!

Joanne sent me this moth and I made a genitalia prep.

Turns out to be a male ASHY PINION, RWH9910 Lithophane antennata

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service