I have been seeing these 'pinkish' geometers in July of each of the past three years in the huge peat bogs near Escuminac Point in Northumberland County. In 2016 I just dismissed as some species that was badly worn. In 2017 I managed a few poor photos and spent hours trying to track down an ID but never got anywhere and eventually forgot about. Yesterday (July 11, 2018) I saw many of them out in the open peatlands flying low over the heathy plants and eventually managed some better photos than I managed previously. These are not great shots but they accurately depict what this species looks like. I'm including a photo with my index finger for scale (my fingernail is 13 mm. wide). Any thoughts or suggestions on the possible ID would be most welcome. I'm assuming it is a Geometrid. It probably is something obvious that I am overlooking.....

Tags: 7626, carsia, sororiata

Views: 56

Replies to This Discussion

How about an undescribed species?

Best I can come up with, and a poor best, is 7626 Caesia sororiata.?

Worth sending to Chris Schmidt at the CNC

Thanks very much, Tony. This morning while poring through the MPG plates for a lead I was temporarily excited by that species - Carsia sororiata but in the end I just couldn't connect the dots (or lines....). I trust your instincts much more than mine so I think Carsia is a good starting point. I will run it by Chris Schmidt, as you suggest, and would be happy to collect a few specimens if warranted.

Always a good idea to collect 1 male (at least) of all 'troublesome' species.

I will dissect & photograph!

It's a deal!

For future dissection it is always best to dry moths quickly. Any source of heat up to about 70C works fine. Small moths should easily dry within 24 h; larger ones perhaps 2-3 days.

Heat does not have to be continuous; a few hours during the day, perhaps room temp overnight and then a few more hours next day.

I  can send you a few snap-cap tubes to put the moths in; actually I just need abdomen. These tubes are small enough that they should be able to go in a regular envelope.

Send me your mailing address

mothman@nbnet.nb.ca

Nice one, Stu! I'm getting mostly old friends at present.... have some to check id but not finding much time to do so. Leconte's Haploa in droves last night.

Thanks, Jo. I have never knowingly had even one Leconte's Haploa so why don't you share a few. I had perhaps 40-50 Large Aspen Tortrix Moth Choristoneura conflictana 3637 last evening so I am happy to trade if you need that one. :)

Jim Edsall replied that pink examples of Carsia sororiata are not uncommon and that he saw many in the bogs near Lorneville when he lived here. I couldn't find any pink specimens at BugGuide or MPG but if you do a Google search for the species name you will get some examples of pink ones with reduced wing markings that seem a reasonable match for mine above. It is Holarctic and is known as Manchester Treble-bar in the U.K. I also found a quite similar example from Thunder Bay, ON, at iNaturalist:

https://inaturalist.ca/observations/7321661

I found genitalia preps of both male and female from the UK on the www.

Will be worth you to collect a few and send them to me for dissection; will compare with UK moths.

Thanks, Tony. Will do my best to get back there a.s.a.p.

WTG Stuart!!  VERY exciting to find something unusual!

RSS

© 2018   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service