Found one in the yard today. I was afraid the -8C temp last night may have done them in but this one survived. Yesterday I saw at least 6 in the same area.

There are some cold nights coming up so .... gulp :( .... this may be my last look at them for 2017 .... hopefully not!

Minto, Nov 9, 2017.

Autumn Meadowhawk

Sympetrum vicinum

Tags: Sympetrum, autumn, jd17d, meadowhawk, vicinum

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

Nice photo Jimmy. Are Autumn Meadowhawks basically the only odes going these days? I'm only just beginning to try ode ID out.

Christopher, I believe so. Denis has seen a few different species up to a few days ago. But ... these guys are the last to survive before winter I think. I suppose there could be an exception but Denis or Gilles or Stu and a few others would know better than I. You just may have to continue your Ode ID next spring by the looks of the weather! Its a lot of fun.

WTG Jimmy!!  Had seen a couple along the Warwick Rd last week, on a mild day.  Tough little guys!  We are getting snow mixed with rain today...temps keep dropping

Thanks Nancy! Yikes it snowed here a bit today too ... more-so up your way I would imagine. I doubt the little guys can last another night but I will look tomorrow none the less. Will be -8 tonight and -1 is as good as it gets tomorrow, so the weatherman says.

Rain here for the most part this morning , Jimmy but that changed to snow by late morning. No accumulation but definitely big white flakes. I'm not ready for snow yet.

Nice find JD!  I think I will go to the gravel pit today to see if those meadowhawks are still down in there....quite protected from the wind.  We can hope that there are still some around.

RSS

© 2017   Created by BNB Host.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service